Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Getting Around and New Friends

How could I have forgotten to mention the American friends I have met??? #blasphemy (yes I just used a hashtag in my blog, get over it) All but one are from up north and you can definitely see the differences in culture. We communicate via Facebook messaging so we only use text messages and minutes when necessary! We get together every now and again during the week and every night during the weekend and chat it up about the awesome time we are going to have and all of the some countries we are going to visit and the musicals and plays we are going to see. I think I'll just describe how I met each of them !

Jen I meet on the bus coming to university. When we got off the bus I really didn't think that I would see her again because we didn't exchange information or anything. Liz is my flatmate and I met her while we were both moving in. Later that night me and Liz were walking her mom to the buys stop where I again saw Jen. Me and Liz were on our way to dinner and asked her to join us. She said she would come later! Me and Liz were eating and had small talk with the two guys at the table next to us who happen to live in the first above us . Then Jen and Lorraine showed up (which is where I met Lorraine), and Darci asked to sit down at our table. Yaaay!!! The next day at breakfast I met Amanda and we all say next to each other at orientation. Unfortunately during orientation we had a fire drill, while we were waiting to get back in the building me and Liz met Joel. He goes to Texas Tech, but we forgive him. That's basically it!

The first Friday we were here we decided to go into central London and explore the city! The plan was to early rush Hamlet which was playing at the Young Vic and then walk around cereal London! When we arrived at the Young Vic there was already a line waiting on tickets. Were still waited only to be told there were no more tickets available for that nights showing. So we just started to weak around theatres and look for student tickets, but we came up short. Some told us to come back later that night.  So in the city we were, we stopped in Picadilly Circus and it was a wonderful site. When I stepped out of the tube station it was a mini New York City. Since I've never been to New York and I know nothing about architecture I didn't know that New York mirrors Picadilly Circus. We walked down towards the theatres and saw the theatre where Phantom of the Opera was showing. I'm still deciding if I want to see that musical, because the are others that I HAVE to see! (i.e. Wicked which I just bought my ticket for!!)

We came to The National Art Gallery and went inside. It was an enormous exhibit, but I found myself getting bored after awhile because I can find art to be boring after awhile. The museum reminded me of global/world and Spanish in high school because we looked at art as a part of our curriculum and went to an art gallery at SMU. Once we were done we took pictures in front of the art gallery. (I think it has some fancy name, but I don't remember it!) There were lions that sat on this really high pedestal that we had to climb to take a picture with the lions. Now it's about lunch time and I'm starving.  We ate at this cute little restaurant that I think was a public.  Actually that's what I'm going to call it because they have more pubs than restaurants. It seemed really fancy on the inside, but the servers clothing didn't look like something you would wear if you were working in a fancy restaurant.  I ordered honey glazed gammon (ham), fried egg (very well done), and chips. It was really tasty, and reasonably priced.

Once our bellies were full we continued our trek through central. We headed to Buckingham palace, because what is a trip to London without atleast one trip to the palace. The palace was really nice, but kind of unnecessary! I mean the was a lavish gate and it literally lead to the other side of the sidewalk. But we still took pictures and acted like complete tourists!  Once we were done at Buckingham Palace we walked through Hype Park. By the time we got here I was bored and tired so I was ready to go home, but we did see the Princess Diana waterfall tribute and the Peter Pan statue. When I got back I crashed in my bed and didn't wake up until late Saturday night!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment